Monday, September 30, 2013

a big birthday, a big trip, a big race and a big watermelon! A super busy september.

Last Saturday our whole family completed the Atlas Race.  It was an intense obstacle course of 4+ miles with boot-camp style obstacles including lots of mud, lots of barbed wire, tall walls and a 15 foot jump into cold water.  We are all covered with bruises and one twisted ankle, but it was a fun challenge.  The boys ran their own smaller obstacle course.  I'm still getting the mud out of the clothes we decided not to throw away!


Great-6 more medals to add to the whole pile of Blake's medals in our dress-up box.

Blake grew this!  It was delicious
My sweet 16 year old-she had a great day with lots of wishes from friends and family.  We are still trying to fit in a party! No, no license yet, but we are working on it.

"The Bean" sculpture in Chicago.  Blake had a conference there and let me come along.  I had a marvelous time!  I basically did whatever I wanted!  Mornings started with a run a long Lake Michigan with Blake, then when he went to his conference for the day, I was off!  I loved the Chicago Institute of Art-amazing!  I also visited two cupcake shops-delicious, went shopping on the famed "Magnificent Mile", and rode a  bike along the lake and into the Lincoln Park Zoo.  Evenings found Blake and I enjoying delicious food in fun locales.

 Loved seeing old pianos in the museum

dropped in for a mass at one of the amazing cathedrals downtown-so much beautiful architecture.

 Dinner in Crystal Gardens at the Navy Pier

The Chicago skyline from the zoo area during my bike ride.

Chicago river-Next time it would be fun to take one of the riverboat architecture tours!

Blake and I shared a hot fudge sundae at Ghiradelli's wondering if it would be as good as we remembered from 17 years ago in San Francisco....it was.

2 comments:

Chris and Kim said...

Love that everyone did a race together, nothing like playing in the mud!! Chicago looked fun!! Can't believe Johanna is 16. Enjoy the holidays. Miss you all.

Unknown said...

Dad and I enjoyed the pictures and write ups -- so fun :-)