Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Just recipes

Well, I was reading some recipes on blogs today and I thought....hey-what a great idea, because I love food! So here's a recipe I tried today that I got online...delicious! It can be vegan, if you like.

Split Pea Soup

1 Tb. olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 bay leaf
3 cloves garlic-pressed or chopped
2 cups dried split peas...I used yellow
1/2 cup barley (you don't have to use..I did though)
1 1/2 tsp. salt
7 1/2 cups water/broth
3 carrots, chopped
3 celery stalks, chopped
3 potatoes, diced
1/2 c. chopped parsley
1/2 tsp dried basil...or use more of fresh
1/2 tsp dried thyme...or more fresh
1/2 tsp. ground pepper

Saute onions and garlic in oil. Add peas, barley, salt and water. Boil and reduce heat to simmer. Simmer for 2 hours, then add veggies and herbs. You may have to add more water or broth. I pureed it with my neighbor's immersion blender (I gotta get one of those!).

Peanut dipping sauce (for lettuce wraps-or combine with Stir fry sauce recipe for my new fave stir fry sauce)

1/2 cup pb
1/3 cup water
2 Tb. vinegar
1/2 tsp. minced ginger
1/8 tsp. red pepper flakes
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 tsp. minced garlic
1/2 tsp. chili oil
1 Tb. brown sugar

Combine and microwave until smooth

Stir Fry Sauce
1/4 cup water
1 tsp. cornstarch
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup vinegar
2 tsp. sesame seed
1 tsp. red pepper flakes
1 tsp. chili oil
1/2 tsp. minced ginger

Combine in saucepan and heat until thickened

1 comment:

The Pixton Family said...

Yum! I'll have to try them. I really miss your great food.